Saturday, November 10, 2007

Batelco bashing

A necessary rant...

I am a small business user at Yahoo where I host my website and email servers. For the past week, I have been unable to get through to my inbox due to a server error. I have contacted Yahoo 4 times who have assured me (in writing) that there is no problems on their end. My system administrator is at a loss to explain what is going on and Batelco have repeatedly told me that there is no issue with their service and that the problem lays with Yahoo.

My first issue with this is that instead of trying to help a customer, they are passing the buck onto someone else. This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and does not make me feel like my concerns and issues as a customer are being addressed or even cared about.

My second issue was sparked last night when a friend who also uses Yahoo said he had absolutely no problem accessing his mail. I immediately got on his laptop, typed in the url and sure enough...there was my inbox. I opened messages and even forwarded some mails I needed to gmail so I could do some work. The reason it worked? He was using the MTC Go wireless usb thingy to access the internet instead of Batelco. Therein ensued more feverish testing to see what would and wouldn't work. To sum it all up, MTC works and Batelco doesn't...I don't know why, but I can empirically prove it with a little usb thingy...

Now this raises a whole raft of issues which to be honest, I cannot be coherent about as my blood is boiling. All I can say is that Batelco is completely and utterly useless. They make ridiculous profits year on year, but they cannot provide a simple service in a relatively small and dense location? My ADSL connection at homes drops regularly which is a pain when surfing the net and a much bigger one when it happens as you are downloading something. The solution is to simply install more nodes to carry the service better to the various neighborhoods that are too far away from the central node. Instead, they want to spend 4 billion dollars on international acquisitions.

What about all those customers who have being paying overinflated rates for umpteen years that have gotten you to the position where you can tout such a war chest? Maybe they have recognized that they have already lost their own market and are therefore setting their sights on new pastures? I, for one, say good riddance.

1 comment:

Ammaro said...

oh come on, you're not being fair...

batelco arent completely and utterly useless.. they are, infact, so ridiculously ineffective and hopeless that the chance of them doing something to actually benefit our country is the equivalent of having the fleas from the underside of a dead dog rotting in the street rebuild the new york twin towers.

*applause*